#meego-cas [INFO] Channel view for “#meego-cas” opened. -->| YOU (bspencer) have joined #meego-cas <bspencer> hi <X-Fade> hi <karli> hi <bspencer> sorry I'm late. Is someone driving the meeting? <bspencer> thanks for getting up early <lbt> no, we're just here <X-Fade> We were waiting for you. <mbatle> hi <tekojo> hi bspencer <bspencer> sounds good. Do we need intros? <bspencer> there are two groups joining here <bspencer> X-Fade: lbt tekojo bspencer all know each other -->| mrshaver (~Adium@22.214.171.124) has joined #meego-cas <tekojo> I guess everyone knows everyone by reputation <bspencer> and karli Jackiewu mbatle are the others <bspencer> why don't we start with the agenda, skip the intros. <bspencer> and we'll figure it out <bspencer> http://wiki.meego.com/Community_Application_Support/Meeting_Agenda <bspencer> tekojo: I'm not sure how to log the IRC. Is there something special I should do? <bspencer> topic 1: Server hardware status @OHU (mike, tero, anyone) <bspencer> (feel free to edit the agenda as we go) <bspencer> on the wiki <lbt> we can't easily log in here <bspencer> I can copy/paste it at the end. <lbt> *nod* <bspencer> mrshaver: tekojo what is the hardware status <tekojo> mrshaver: has more details, but our hardware is in the rack <X-Fade> For the community OBS we got 3 servers delivered at least. <bspencer> mrshaver: might have fallen asleep <mrshaver> we have 3 remaining servers for web infrastructure and a lot of services to put into these, so I think we'll definitely need a new server for the community apps <bspencer> ah :) <lbt> we can certainly setup and migrate Xen VMs trivially <lbt> as in 10 min setup, 5 min migrate <tekojo> lbt: there is a really long list of services to run on meego <X-Fade> tekojo: Yes, but by running them in VMs, we can already set them up. <mrshaver> does anyone know the load these repo servers will take? <X-Fade> As they are then independent of hardware. <tekojo> mrshaver: the actual repos aren't really under heavy load, they just need bandwidth <X-Fade> mrshaver: Any server on our end should only be the origin of a mirror network? <bspencer> right. Do we have an estimate from Maemo days on how many systems we'll need? I assume load will be light for at least 6-9months. <mrshaver> X-Fade: ya, we taked about the CDN a bit <X-Fade> Anyway, we made a mistake once where we skipped the caching network for all maemo.org repositories and we were serving that from one server. <X-Fade> Transferred about 2TB in one day without issues. <mrshaver> mirroring would be better of course <X-Fade> Yes, that is for sure. <bspencer> with 3 servers for our needs are we OK for now? <X-Fade> But static file serving is not that heavy on a server. Dynamically generated things are. <bspencer> (we plan to ask for a favor in a minute to host OCS server... ) <X-Fade> bspencer: We can probably setup a Xen for it and scale cpus etc based on load as we go along? <lbt> certainly <lbt> (assuming 11.2 suse is OK( <bspencer> ok. Should mrshaver try and obtain another server? Sounds like the other 3 are not coming our way. <bspencer> or we can wait for now <tekojo> what are all the parts we need on web servers? <mrshaver> maybe LF will chip in a server or two for the community?? :) <tekojo> repo, obs, ocs, others? <lbt> FYI http://wiki.meego.com/Build_Infrastructure/Community_Builder/Server_Layout <X-Fade> tekojo: repo and obs already have hardware. <bspencer> the pages where you can browse the repo, submit apps <bspencer> community voting, etc. <X-Fade> The whole packages interface, QA, garage/downloads frontend. <tekojo> can't we spare some capacity on one of the 3 blades for those pages and the ocs part? <tekojo> I mean, two machines to build application packages should get us going for several months, then extending is simple <X-Fade> I'd say setup some conservative Xen vms on those servers and see real requirements based on load. <bspencer> sounds good. <lbt> We can easily run 10+ VMs on the main cbuild server <bspencer> ok. So we'll stick with 3 + VMs <tekojo> X-Fade: exactly, no need to wait for hardware <bspencer> great. <bspencer> let's go to next agenda item? <tekojo> bspencer: and start hunting for more hardware at the same time :) <lbt> yes <X-Fade> tekojo: No and once a host gets overloaded, we can always migrate or add new servers. <bspencer> agenda 2: # OBS build server status (niels, david) <Jackiewu> VM is good choice. Are we talking the server we will public or some for us as testing server? <X-Fade> Jackiewu: Can be both, I guess? <lbt> we have complete control including iptables so we can do both <Jackiewu> Ok, that's good. <tekojo> OBS status, lbt? <lbt> so, the OBS <lbt> VMs for: frontend, backend, storage, download <lbt> Big issues for going live: LDAP, Security audit (still not heard) <lbt> all the installs are documented: http://wiki.meego.com/Build_Infrastructure/Community_Builder/Installation <lbt> I found some nasty disk I/O issues last night <mrshaver> lbt: I may have missed you on the security audit, sorry <lbt> #suse may be suggesting we move to xen4.0 <mrshaver> Tero, Niels are talking on Monday right? <tekojo> yes, Monday <lbt> OK... let me know what time <lbt> LDAP is probably more important :) I'm not unhappy with the security <mrshaver> tekojo: did you guys finalize a time and bridge? <tekojo> mrshaver: yes, skype and there is a time set <X-Fade> lbt: I agree, without SSO we should not go live. <bspencer> eta? <lbt> *nod* and I also would like to resolve the project setup <lbt> I've been swamped over the past 2 weeks <mrshaver> X-Fade: I'll try to accelerate that portion of the planning <lbt> we can finalise Fremantle etc once we're live <X-Fade> mrshaver: Let me know if you need help, I think it is important enough to prioritize it. <bspencer> also, will OBS support MeeGo 1.0, 1.1, ... handset image, netbook image, etc? harmattan? arm, x86 ? <lbt> bspencer: yes <bspencer> good answer! <lbt> however... :) <lbt> that's the project setup bit <lbt> I think we could do with talking to the MeeGo core guys to verify how we're setting up <X-Fade> lbt: For the project setup a different meeting might be in order though. <lbt> yes <lbt> it's not a blocker <bspencer> certainly. do you have the connections? Do you want me to coordinate something? <lbt> just make sure people know it's actually important :) <lbt> I think I may ask on -dev or -packaging <lbt> the beta was supposed to let us play with this... <lbt> timing wasn't great though <X-Fade> But going back to OBS status. We have the hardware, no real blockers apart from ldap at the moment. <lbt> correct <bspencer> so optimistic ETA? Security review by end of Aug? LDAP ? Project setup end of Sept? <lbt> and we can setup an LDAP ready to be a mirror <lbt> sooner I'd hope <X-Fade> bspencer: Security audit can be done now. <lbt> hols are finishing <tekojo> how about the LDAP, when would that come? <lbt> if we setup an LDAP server with the correct schemas then we can setup OBS <lbt> and then turn it to a syncrepl <X-Fade> Actual project setup will be fast, but needs discussion first. <mrshaver> will anyone then have access to OBS to build packages? <lbt> and we can trial project setup on the maemo.org one <lbt> which is live-beta <X-Fade> mrshaver: Yes, as long as you have an account. <lbt> main blocker there was abysmal download/mirror speed <bspencer> ok. moving on? <lbt> well. an action? <X-Fade> build.obs.maemo.org is our live beta one btw. <lbt> can someone provide the ldap schemas? <tekojo> wait, who needs to do what to get LDAP ? <lbt> we can setup an ldap server on a VM <lbt> that may be a good idea in the long term as it will be hit hard <X-Fade> I think mrshaver should try to find out what info is available from Drupal, what Drupal needs. And create a schema based on that info? <X-Fade> The schema for obs accounts will probably be very simple. <mrshaver> X-Fade: sure, one area they are looking at is using Drupal as the host for the LDAP <mrshaver> not sure how that all works, but it essentially is the gateway I think <tekojo> mrshaver: that would be ideal <X-Fade> mrshaver: Yes, that will be the most imporant thing. If that works, everything else should be pretty easy. <mrshaver> I'll push a bit on defining this! <X-Fade> Thanks. <bspencer> good. anything else? <bspencer> agenda #3: Client status (mateu, daniel) <mbatle> clients have a few layers, libattica, garageclientservices and UI <mbatle> libattica layer: a library (from KDE) implementing OCS client <mbatle> it is mostly implemented, I mean the features needed for meego garage <mbatle> It might need bug fixing, since some things are not tested yet <mbatle> todo: include libattica in meego repo at some point [INFO] 1 matches for “J”: [Jackiewu: ] <bspencer> Jackiewu: can you follow up on getting libattica into meego repo? <Jackiewu> That's no problem. I think it might be better when we get libattica ready. <lbt> BTW... I made a cldap VM whilst we were chatting (4 mins) ... it's bare but it's up <Jackiewu> I discussed with mbatle and it's not finalized yet. <bspencer> Jackiewu: ok. np. I'll assume you'll push that when it is ready <Jackiewu> I will follow up that. <mbatle> ok <bspencer> mbatle: gcs? <mbatle> garage client services (gcs): a library implementing common part of all garage clients, wrapping packagekit and libattica <mbatle> gcs features done and tested: catalog, categories and applications. Needs more testing, still bugs on it. <mbatle> gcs features to do or partially done: <mbatle> - OCS: login, rating, reviews, licenses, download links, package name <mbatle> - packagekit: test install, remove, update <mbatle> - autoinstall repos provided by OCS server ? === karli <~firstname.lastname@example.org> “Frank Karlitschek” === karli: member of #meego-cas === karli: attached to gibson.freenode.net “Oslo, Norway” === karli is logged in as karli --- End of WHOIS information for karli. <mbatle> any question on gcs ? <lbt> docs/design pages? <bspencer> Jackiewu: you had something <mbatle> there is an initial document on gcs 1.0, but has not been updated after OCS implem <mbatle> it has some doxygen docs written <lbt> I guess I'm mainly interested in the high level integration part <tekojo> mbatle: the repo location might make lbt happy <lbt> that may be OCS <Jackiewu> I have one doc and will send to you guys. The OCS imple mainly follows OCS spec. mbatle works with karli. <X-Fade> lbt is interested as it might need to plug into BOSS. <lbt> you read my mind :) <lbt> http://wiki.meego.com/Release_Infrastructure/BOSS FYI <tekojo> true, you need to generate the ocs data <X-Fade> BOSS is the job scheduler which carries a packages through the whole chain from source upload -> publish in repo. <mbatle> Jackiewu, has a document specifying the subset used from OCS protocol spec <lbt> *nod*... actually it should be able to help automate any workflow... system and human <bspencer> this is where Frank (karli) comes in the picture too. Frank is the OCS maintainer and can help us with the OCS server impl. <bspencer> we need to get you guys together to identify what and how <tekojo> is the idea still to use drupal as the ocs server? <Jackiewu> Currently, we first need a test server to deploy ocs on drupal. <Jackiewu> Yes <karli> yes. the OCS implementation is easy to do. the more difficult part is to connect it with the other services to fetch the data <X-Fade> karli: Most of it will be in databases, so that should be ok. <karli> a have a ocs php library as reference implementation. we could use this and integrate it with drupal. <tekojo> so a VM image that has Drupal on it to host the ocs (and the qa+upload features) <karli> X-Fade: sounds good <Jackiewu> karli: do we need to design the database? <mrshaver> karli: you should be able to look at the REST services module and write something similar? <mrshaver> I can help out a bit and have someone who is probably better as well <karli> jackiewu: does this database with the package metadata already exist? so that we can query it for the ocs api ? <X-Fade> In this VM it is important again to have accounts linked. <Jackiewu> The package metadata is not only from OBS repo. It's also comes from application submission. <karli> mrshaver: well the REST OCS api part is already done. I have this running here. <Jackiewu> We defined that for garage, like video, screenshots. ... <mrshaver> karli: Oh, you mean a drupal module? <karli> mrshaver: it´s not a drupal module at the moment but it´s a PHP library. Should be easy to integrate this with your drupal setup <mrshaver> karli: OK, that is what I thought <lbt> there's an ocs VM now too <Jackiewu> mrshaver: Is that enough for me just create those data type for garage based on Drupal administration page? Then the database is automatically created. I'm not familiar on the server part. <mrshaver> Jackiewu: hum, not sure I understand your question? <Jackiewu> I mean the garage application mata data. <X-Fade> Jackiewu: Part of a drupal module is the database schema. <mrshaver> the database is automatically created for the base install <Jackiewu> I see. <mrshaver> but we need to define all the extra meta data we need to capture <karli> mrshaver: but how is the database populated with data? creating it is not enough <mrshaver> node submissions, comments, etc? <lbt> sounds like we're moving into design/impl <tekojo> yes, can this be handled in a separate meet? <mbatle> ok, should I continue with the last part, UIs ? <lbt> #meego-dev would be a good place to discuss this <Jackiewu> Ok. then we are fine if we can get a VM server for us. <Jackiewu> for testing. <bspencer> can we get karli and mbatle access to the server to start playing / testing? <mrshaver> karli: maybe we can meet on Monday on #meego-dev? <lbt> Jackiewu: bspencer it's up already :) <Jackiewu> Can we (karli, mbatle and me) get access to that? <karli> mrshaver: sure <bspencer> ok. <Jackiewu> Ok, thanks all! <bspencer> as for handheld app status, we'll ping daniel offline <bspencer> anything else for today? <mbatle> netbook UI: mostly implemented provided no features are added, some changes needed to adapt to changes in gcs <mbatle> handheld UI: don't know status exactly, I know Daniel & Nebo did some integration of gcs into handheld UI. Not sure if it compiles in MeeGo. <lbt> I think we should do this weekly now <tekojo> how to make all thse parts work together, i.e. we need some project structure <lbt> and try to collaborate in <lbt> #meego-dev too <tekojo> I would like to see some status from everyone at http://wiki.meego.com/Community_Application_Support <tekojo> and definitely a weekly meet here or on meego-meeting to see where everything is <tekojo> if there are issues, I and mrshaver can act as problem removers, i.e. find the people that need to be nudged <tekojo> how does that sound? <lbt> good <X-Fade> Sounds good. <bspencer> ok. thanks all <lbt> I'd like to see a high level plan/design too <tekojo> sure, that needs some refining :) <mrshaver> lbt: I agree, this would be nice <bspencer> Jackiewu: mbatle can own our end of the design <bspencer> to coordinate with lbt <bspencer> and combine our worlds <bspencer> I've got to drop. Copying notes now...