The situation between MeeGo and the ARM community is quite peculiar currently. The role of Intel awakes a predictable suspicion but at the same time many ARM stakeholders are increasingly involved in MeeGo related activities. The mobile focus combined with the multiple form factors targeted and the open setup make MeeGo a very interesting proposition for chipset vendors in the ARM community and device vendors shipping ARM based products.
- The MeeGo project is committed to support Intel/Atom and ARM architectures. Decisions on roadmapping, architecture and development take this requirement into account.
- The Release Engineering team has specific roles for ARM related activities. Risto Lankinen is responsible for maintaining the ARM architecture-specific toolchain and libraries in MeeGo. Harri Hakulinen is responsible for maintaining MeeGo releases on the Nokia N900 hardware platform.
- #meego-arm is the MeeGo ARM team IRC channel as well as home to the MeeGo N900 hardware adaptation team.
- The Nokia N900 (TI OMAP3) is an official hardware platform of the MeeGo project. See ARM/N900.
- Texas Instruments is Platinum sponsor at the MeeGo Conference and technology demonstrations exist showing MeeGo running in OMAP4.
- ST-Ericsson presented at the MeeGo Conference a session about ST-Ericsson U8500 Linaro and MeeGo.
- An ARM BoF is planned at the MeeGo Conference.
- Proof points of MeeGo running on ARM based platforms are popping up. Some of them are R&D initiatives of the vendors, some other are personal initiatives: MSM/QSD, Beagleboard...
- Linaro experiments with MeeGo support.
Running MeeGo on ARM
(((Please group the initiatives below by Vendor/Chipset)))
Information on how to use MeeGo on ARM-based devices and contacts to the teams working on it.
The Nokia N900 hardware adaptation team, team lead: Harri Hakulinen (IRC: harha)
Nokia N8x0 (Unofficial)
Unofficial Nokia N8x0 hardware adaptation team, run by maemo.org
Unofficial MSM/QSD hardware adaptation
Unofficial Hummingbird hardware adaptation
Archos Internet Tablets (Unofficial)
Qemu allows you to try out MeeGo safely on your Desktop PC.
Tegra 2 (Unofficial)
Unofficial Tegra 2 hardware adaptation
According to the marketing strategy, it is crucial for MeeGo to be a neutral platform. This implies the engagement of chipset vendors other than Intel and device manufacturers other than Nokia. The link between this goal and the ARM community is obvious.
How to improve the current situation? List your ideas below and get involved to make them happen. Proposals and discussions about this topic are welcome at the meego-community mailing list.
- Highlight the MeeGo/ARM related projects and news in one place (this page?). Currently it's hard to follow.--Qgil 17:05, 1 October 2010 (UTC)
- Get ARM stakeholders directly involved in the MeeGo project to start accruing merits.--Qgil 17:05, 1 October 2010 (UTC)
- Invite and highlight the participation of ARM related topics and speakers in MeeGo events (happening already, more needed).--Qgil 17:05, 1 October 2010 (UTC)
- Get MeeGo speakers in ARM related events, from the ARM community and its stakeholders (proposals?).--Qgil 17:05, 1 October 2010 (UTC)
- Offer the participation in MeeGo working groups to companies involved in MeeGo products.--Qgil 17:05, 1 October 2010 (UTC)
- Get ARM development products into the hands of MeeGo developers free or at discount! See http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?p=14202 --Texrat 19:44, 1 December 2010 (UTC)