This page describes the goal, attributes and requirements for a community device program. Please feel free to discuss further on the meego-community list.
The vision for this program is to put together a framework that makes it very easy for
anyone to contribute devices and have them go to the most qualified community members
in exchange for some commitment to do something cool with the device (attributed to Dawn Foster).
A Platform or Device Champion is any community member passionate enough to act as a focal point for them. That means blogging, presenting, forum posting, leading discussions on email lists, and any similar highly visible activity in the community space. Platform or device champions need not be a subject matter expert but should always be willing to find one. Champions can cover entire platform(s) or specific device(s). Note that a Champion may or not be a Recipient.
A Device Provider is defined as any entity participating in the program, at their own expense, with the agreed goal of getting MeeGo-capable devices into the hands of eligible MeeGo community members. Some criteria:
- Devices may be gifted, discounted or loaned (at provider's discretion)
- Development boards, consumer devices (release status determined by provider; may require separate NDA)
- Devices requiring legal paperwork for release need to be made available directly from the company providing them and not through the Linux Foundation MeeGo device program
Device Provider program details can be found on pages linked in Platforms/Devices section.
A Device Recipient is anyone receiving a device from a Provider.
Policies and Processes
Recipient Eligibility and Responsibilities
- Confirm that you have asked your employer for a device (if applicable), and been turned down.
- Clear and compelling purpose for the device requested.
- Agree to use the device for the purpose stated in your application.
- Agree to blog/tweet/present about your experience with the device.
- Any vendor-specific requirements (may include shipping restrictions to certain countries).
- Recipient is responsible for any import taxes, fees or other expenses.
- Must be a member in good standing in MeeGo Community (defined by Community Guidelines)
- Must provide a valid shipping address and phone number.
- Willingness to share unused devices.
MeeGo / LF Responsibilities
- Drive the process for selecting recipients.
- Provide an application form for people to use.
- Provide vendor with a list of names, shipping addresses, phone numbers, email addresses.
Device Provider Responsibilities
- Provider will handle all shipping of systems including any relevant paperwork required.
- Provider will provide system specifications, number of systems available and deadlines.
- Provider will provide a list of any additional recipient requirements in addition to the ones stated above.
- Provider is responsible for all costs associated with providing and shipping the devices.
- (drop down) Select device provider
- (drop down) Select device (add any available devices to drop down)
- (drop down) Select primary use (fields: platform / project development, app development, design, localization, peripherals, other)
- (text box) Project Name (if applicable)
- (text box) Project URL (this is a requirement for TI; can be link to a forum thread, et al)
- (text box) Describe in more detail your plans for the device.
- (text box) Describe your past (if any) contributions to the MeeGo, Maemo and/or Moblin project(s).
- (drop down) MeeGo member name  meego.com  forum.meego.com
- (text field) Full Name
- (text field) Shipping Location (organization name or use 'home' if shipping to a residential address)
- (text field) Shipping Address
- (text field) Phone Number
- (text field) Email Address
-  I confirm that I asked my employer for a device (if applicable) and have been turned down.
-  I agree to use the device for the purpose stated above.
-  I agree to blog/tweet/present about my experience with the device.
-  I confirm that I have met all other requirements to receive this device.
We appreciate your understanding that there are a limited number of devices and not all requests can be granted.
We also kindly ask that if/when you no longer need the device, you transfer it to another MeeGo community member or team who can use it.
Judges will be looking for truly novel yet practical applications for provided devices. Filling an obvious gap in the MeeGo ecosystem will help your chances. Dream big, but have a solid plan for fulfilling it!
- Intended use should be innovative, substantial and well-documented.
- Intended use should be appropriate and practical for device granted.
- Looking for a balance of uses for each device (not all one type of primary use).
- Past contributions to a relevant project may be part of the decision process.
- It is important that device awards are not limited to a constant set of contributors. Prior receipt of a gifted or loaned device would be considered for your future applications. This may or may not apply to discounted devices.
Following are the MeeGo platforms and devices addressed by the program. You can find examples of devices running MeeGo here, and proposal submission tracking here.
- Provider(s): Intel
In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) Systems
Platform Champion(s): Nathan Willis
Smart TV/Connected TV
IP TV Boxes
- Champion(s): Till Harbaum, Jan-Simon Möller
- Provider(s): Beagleboard
- Champion(s): Randall Arnold
- Provider(s): Texas Instruments
Other Embedded Systems
Feel free to add possible devices (with providers) and information here:
This page is being used to manage proposals.