The new QML-based MeeGo IVI UX replaces the existing "IVIHome" application and now is the default MeeGo IVI homescreen when the system boots. A lot of the functionalities and features of the existing home screen are ported over to the new UX. This section provides information about the design and use of the new MeeGo IVI Home Screen.
MeeGo IVI Home Screen Design Objectives
The primary objectives in designing the IVI Home Screen were:
- Provide a sample UX that utilizes a scrollwheel, Text to Speech and Speech Recognition so that it can be operated without distracting driver by requiring them to look at the display or a keyboard. During system development the home screen application may still be operated via touchscreen or mouse.
IVI Home Screen Use
Navigating the IVI home screen may be done via touchscreen, scrollwheel, and Speech Recognition of voice commands with the help of Text to Speech (TTS).
- IVI home screen has full touchscreen support for platforms with working touchscreen hardware and drivers
- IVI home screen can also be navigated using a mouse and the user can use the mouse wheel to scroll through the menu.
- Currently only the Contour ShuttleXpress is supported since the key mapping is hard-coded.
- Currently only the IVI home screen supports the ShuttleXpress. The application support has not been implemented yet.
- The ShuttleXpress controller has 5 dedicated mouse buttons and knob that turns left/right, all of these buttons simulate key presses on a hardware button in a car and currently only works when you are at the IVI home screen, they are not yet supported in any of the applications.
- Just plug in the ShuttleXpress and it will recognize the device automatically.
- The buttons are mapped to the following functions:
- Button1 – BACK, at the home screen, this takes you back to the previous menu or closes the menu completely. It will take you back to the home screen if you are within any other applications.
- Button2 – HOME, this will always open up the navigation menu if the menu is closed, or return you back to the home menu if you are in a sub menu.
- Button3 – SELECT/OPEN, this will open the highlighted menu or application, it is the same as clicking on the application.
- Knob Left – At the desktop, this makes the desktop icons rotate counter-clockwise. When the menu is opened, use this to navigate through the menu in UP direction.
- Knob Right – At the desktop, this makes the desktop icons rotate clockwise. When the menu is opened, use this to navigate through the menu in DOWN direction.
- Supported by home screen and menu navigation
- When you navigate the desktop icon list or the scroll menu list, it will use Festival to say the current menu item, you should hear “Navigation, Communication”, etc as you browse through the menu.
- Text to speech is turned on by default, however, if you use TTS with speech recognition on a system with a mic too close to the speakers, they might interfere.
- You can turn TTS on/off by clicking on the toggle button in the top menu of the home screen.
Speech recognition (IVI home screen voice commands)
- Speech recognition is supported by IVI Home Screen only. Speech recognition in applications needs to be added.
- Speech recognition does not support continuous speech, it only recognizes voice commands for the IVI home menu as shown below
- Speech recognition is turned off by default. To turn on speech recognition, click on the microphone toggle button in the top menu of the home screen.
- The following tables list the supported voice commands (you can also look in
Menu Navigation Commands
||Goes back to the home screen if you are within any application. If you are at the home screen, it opens the home menu if the menu is closed, or returns to the home menu, same as the clicking HOME button on ShuttleXpress
||goes back to the last menu, same as clicking the BACK button on ShuttleXpress
||Same as the "Back" command
||moves to the next application on the desktop or next item on the scroll menu, same as turning the knob to the RIGHT on the ShuttleXpress
||moves to the previous application on the desktop or the previous item on the scroll menu, same as turning the knob to the LEFT on the ShuttleXpress
||launches the selected application on the desktop or the selected application on the scroll menu.
||Closes the current applicatoin and return to the IVI home screen
||Shows the task switcher with a list of running applications
If you are in the desktop with the scroll menu closed, you can directly speak the name of any of the 5 application shown in the desktop menu. It will automatically highlight the recognized application.
Shortcut Application Commands
Voice commands may be used to skip menu navigation and go directly to specific applications
||opens the Navit application
||opens the Dialer application with BT-HFP
||opens the MeeGo contacts application
||opens the MeeGo browser application
||opens the MeeGo browser application
||opens the the MeeGo photo application
||opens the MeeGo music application
||opens the MeeGo video application
||opens the the MeeGo control panel application
||opens the the MeeGo panels
The list of applications for each of the above application commands are defined in the