Before You Start
Be courteous and polite to fellow members in the list:
- Keep the language clean (no swearing)
- Respect other people: No regional, racial, gender or other abuse will be tolerated.
Keep It Short
Remember that thousands of copies of your message will exist in mailboxes:
- Keep your messages as short as possible.
- Avoid including log output (select only the most relevant lines, or place the log on a website or in a pastebin instead)
- Don't excessively quote previous messages in the thread (trim the quoted text down to the most recent/relevant messages only).
Use Proper Posting Style
- No HTML or Rich Text: Set your mailer to send only plain text messages to avoid getting caught in our spam filters.
- Do not top post: Top posting is replying to a message on "top" of the quoted text of the previous correspondence. This is highly unwanted in mailing lists because it increases the size of the daily digests to be sent out & is highly confusing and incoherent. By default, most email clients top post. Please, remove the irrelevant part of the previous communication(in case of more than a single correspondence) and use bottom, interleaved posting.
- Using interleaved posting: Bottom, interleaved posting is replying to the relevant parts of the previous correspondence just below the block(s) of sentences. For a comment to another block of sentences of the same quoted text, you should move below that relevant block again. Do not reply below the whole of the quoted text. Also remove any irrelevant text.
- Use links: Please provide URLs to articles wherever possible. Avoid cutting and pasting whole articles especially considering the fact that all may not be interested.
Do Not Cross Post
Avoid posting to multiple lists simultaneously. Pick a mailing list that is most suitable for your post and just use that. CC'ing multiple lists should be avoided.
See our process for dealing with violations for more details.
Credit to the Fedora Mailing List Guidelines as a starting point under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license.