With http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/meego-dev/2011-June/483406.html Maliit declared itself as an independent project. To strengthen the position of Maliit, we decided to go with a proper rebranding. This involves cleaning up old Harmattan/MeeGo Touch cruft in source code, installation paths, GConf keys, etc.
The upcoming changes will be reflected in new package names for MeeGo and the following version numbers for the framework libraries:
- 0.2x: Still uses MeeGo Touch
- 0.8x: Compiles MeeGo Touch free version by default.
- Installation paths, library names and GConf keys now follow new Maliit naming conventions.
- No API break! New library structure will require recompilation though.
- 0.9x: Alpha release that will lead up to MeeGo 1.3
- Will contain API cleanups (not LMT related, but rather about removing cruft and cleanup).
- API cleanup should be done for all Maliit libraries (including engines and feedback API).
- In first release for the 0.9x series, the C++ based reference VKB (Maliit Keyboard) will be LMT-free.
- 1.0: The Maliit release that will go into MeeGo 1.3.
- From here on, we would consider our API stable, goal is API compatibility (not necessarily BC) for MeeGo 1.4, too, as we really don't want to force input method developers to keep adjusting to changing API's.