The MeeGo Project Marketing and Promotion is organized within the Community Office.
- Strongest OS candidate for any mobile device vendor.
- Praised platform for mobile application development.
- Neutral project developed openly by multiple stakeholders.
- Worldwide community of individuals, non-profits and companies.
- Great help to marketing activities of MeeGo stakeholders.
- Device and OS vendors.
- Application developers and ISVs.
- Platform and community contributors.
- In a Nutshell - Provide the information needed by device and OS vendors to choose MeeGo.
- Open Project - Consolidate open roadmapping, open development and open governance.
- Industry Support - Engage other companies, especially chipset vendors and handset manufacturers.
- News Channel - Continuous highlights of new products, current development and community activities.
- Developer Reference - Provide vendor agnostic developer documentation across UX verticals.
- Commercial Developers - Attract developers and content providers with compatibility/portability paths with Symbian, Android and iOS.
- Community Developers - Attract the free software communities with paths to free mobility.
- Publish & Sell - Offer the tools and channels to publish apps and content across architectures, manufacturers and operators.
- Handshake Network - Seed local outreach activities, especially in North America, Europe and Eastern Asia.
- Your MeeGo - Help organizations using and producing MeeGo materials and project resources.
Agreed activities in chronological order of delivery:
- 2010-09-21: First iteration of the Marketing plan completed (this page).
- 2010-10-21: Expected MeeGo 1.1 release.
- 2010-11-15/17: MeeGo Conference 2010.
We need to sync this better with the Community Office list of tasks, but now it's useful to see all the marketing related activities in one place, next to the goals and strategy.
List your proposed marketing activities, including a link to the full proposal:
- Have some MAPS 2011 [MAPS2011]
- MeeGo stickers. To be massively distributed through the MeeGo Conference. A system to order them online as well?--Qgil 20:55, 7 September 2010 (UTC)
- Local MeeGo Networks in 4 continents organizing monthly meetings.--Qgil 23:09, 2 September 2010 (UTC)
- Latest deadline for a MeeGo Avatar Generator at meego.com.
- Plan for a MeeGo Store.--Qgil 00:19, 9 September 2010 (UTC)
- MeeGo Events Box (see GNOME Events Box).--Qgil 22:21, 13 September 2010 (UTC)
- Seed local MeeGo networks and activities anywhere.--Qgil 23:05, 2 September 2010 (UTC)
- Mobile-ize the traditional Linux and open source communities.--Qgil 05:25, 12 September 2010 (UTC)
- Stress the differences and strengths vs Android, Symbian, Windows.--Qgil 05:25, 12 September 2010 (UTC)
- Incentivate the participation in roadmapping, development and testing.--Qgil 05:25, 12 September 2010 (UTC)
- Get a wide support of ARM related stakeholders.--Qgil 05:25, 12 September 2010 (UTC)
- Get Nokia and Intel competitors involved.--Qgil 05:25, 12 September 2010 (UTC)
- Promote openness and transparency in the project and software development.--Qgil 05:25, 12 September 2010 (UTC)
- Contribute and be part of The Linux Foundation marketing and brand.--Qgil 05:25, 12 September 2010 (UTC)
- Promote Local MeeGo Networks anywhere.--Qgil 05:25, 12 September 2010 (UTC)
- Strive for participation and collaboration in Linux, free software and mobile development events.--Qgil 05:25, 12 September 2010 (UTC)
- Consolidate prestigious conferences in America, Asia and Europe.--Qgil 05:25, 12 September 2010 (UTC)
- Drive the production of vanilla marketing materials customizable by companies and communities.--Qgil 05:25, 12 September 2010 (UTC)
- Promote MeeGo branding and references to the MeeGo project in MeeGo based products.--Qgil 05:25, 12 September 2010 (UTC)
- More open, collaborative and powerful than Android as a mobile platform --Dneary 12:22, 13 September 2010 (UTC)
- National MeeGo Summits for Local Networks.--Kyber 03:16, 13 September 2010 (UTC) Draft here
- Community-originated slogans. I have a couple: --Texrat 03:43, 14 September 2010 (UTC)
- "unboxing open source!"
- "do you MeeGo?"
- Cooperation with Symbian to maximize crosspollination of Qt / Web Runtime apps and developers.--Qgil 10:11, 14 September 2010 (UTC)
- Co-branding guidelines for MeeGo vendors and stakeholders.--Qgil 23:52, 16 September 2010 (UTC)
- Highlight MeeGo products and industry support.--Qgil 16:08, 17 September 2010 (UTC)
- Collaboration with companies preparing MeeGo announcements - requires minimal confidentiality.--Qgil 16:08, 17 September 2010 (UTC)
- MeeGo News team making sure the good and fresh info makes it regularly at meego.com.--Qgil 16:08, 17 September 2010 (UTC)
- Proposal for a common calendar on meego.com. Important to orient all event schedules using one master calendar. --Texrat 20:56, 21 September 2010 (UTC) (originally proposed for maemo.org; Andrea Grandi renewed interest for MeeGo)
- Versus Android: progress & contributions to MeeGo end up boosting Linux ecosystem throughout the stack, while Android only uses the Linux kernel; Android is a "black hole" where progress & contributions only end up helping Android. If Android turns up to be a dead end (for a given vendor/device manufacturer), all the resources put to related development have gone to waste (see Sharecropping) --Vivainio 12:30, 25 September 2010 (UTC)
- Versus Ubuntu: Qt has a strategic role in MeeGo, while Ubuntu builds on Gtk+. This makes MeeGo easier to approach for most developers (with experience in C++, Java, C#). Qt is also much better funded than Gtk+, and is moving forward with faster pace. --Vivainio 12:30, 25 September 2010 (UTC)
- Your proposal here.
Teams & roles
We are bootstrapping this team and also collecting the related ad-hoc roles and initiatives we have around. Hoping to have a first structure in place by September 21.
Coordination and filling gaps: Quim Gil
Homepage, announcements, background info, media kit.
Merchandising, grassroots campaigns, open source advocacy.
Team to be defined.
Propose activities in the meego-community mailing list and list them above. This is currently the best way to get involved.
Sponsoring events, supporting speakers and more.
There is an Events page and we need to define the thin and permeable boundary between the organization of MeeGo events and marketing activities in events.
Team to be defined.
Get involved promoting the MeeGo conference and proposing events where the MeeGo project should have a presence. You can also propose MeeGo marketing activities in events.