- Download the MeeGo v1.0 for netbooks image and change its extension (simple rename) to ISO.
- Create VirtualBox virtual machine
- Select virtual machine type Linux/Fedora.
- Create 8 GB virtual hard drive.
- Enable PAE.
- Enable 3D acceleration.
- Set CD-image to the downloaded MeeGo image.
- Boot the virtual machine for the first time. Choose Installation only from the boot menu.
- Follow the installation wizard and install MeeGo on the virtual hard drive.
- After you are back in the boot menu, turn off the virtual machine.
- Set virtual machine's CD-image to Empty.
- Boot your MeeGo system for the second time.
MeeGo does not seem to go anywhere except showing background image. It is possible, however, to get X11 with TWM running easily. This is enough for development work.
- Press ESC when the boot begins to get into GRUB boot menu.
- Press TAB to edit boot line.
- Remove quiet from boot line and append 3 to start with a shell and then boot.
- After boot is complete, press ALT-F1 to get into console and login using your user account.
- Type sudo startx to start X11 with TWM :)
Installing VirtualBox guest additions
- Update your system to the latest packages:
- Install dependencies:
sudo yum install kernel-headers kernel-devel gcc make patch kernel-netbook-devel meego-lsb
- Reboot to activate potential kernel updates (running kernel needs to match the kernel-devel package)
- Having instructed VirtualBox to Install Guest Additions, mount CD-drive and build guest additions:
sudo mount /dev/sr0 /mnt && cd /mnt && sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run