DRAFT: do not submit proposals here yet - the process is not finished
We will be holding a series of lightning talks at the MeeGo Conference 2010 on Wednesday, November 17 (exact time TBD). Anyone can submit a proposal for a lightning talk - all submissions are due on November 3 at 23:59 Pacific Time.
Each lightning talk is exactly 5 minutes (no exceptions). We will limit the time available for lightning talks to 1-2 hours (10-20 talks). If we get more than this, then the selection committee will need to decide whether we allocate some extra time or go through an approval process for the talks.
- November 3: Lightning talk submissions due.
- November 4: Content selection committee to determine how much time to allocate and notify people that have / have not been approved.
- November 10: All presentations due (Note: we need this lead time because we'll load all of the presentations on one laptop to avoid wasting time switching between computers for 5 minute talks.)
The submission process is fairly simple. Add your proposal to the wiki table below with the following information:
- Name and link to meego profile.
- Talk title.
- Optional link to more information (blog post, previous presentation, white paper, etc.) - this is where you can show us how much expertise you have.
Some Guidance for Lightning Talks
- Be realistic about how much information you can convey in 5 minutes.
- Highly technical presentations are difficult (but not impossible) in this format. You might need to take it up a level and talk about ideas rather than detailed step by step technical instructions.
- Think about a couple of key points you want to make and include them in the description.
- Make sure you have time to prepare. It can be harder to present a coherent 5 minute presentation than a 60 minute one because the margin for error is much smaller and you need to be able to quickly and concisely make your points.
- Have fun with your topic. With this many 5 minute talks crammed in together, things can get a little dull, so don't hesitate to spice it up a bit!
Submit Your Proposal
| Name and Link to MeeGo profile)
|| Talk Title
|| Detailed Description
|| Link to More Info (Optional)
||A short, lively, fun introduction to the MeeGo Greeters. I'll focus on: 1) benefit to community 2) benefits to participants
||MeeGo Greeters thread
|Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen
||Condensed Gaming Freedom
||A rapid introduction to the basic concepts behind the Gluon game creation and distribution system
||The GamingFreedom.org splash
||Health & Wellness Apps using Open Health Assistant
||Fast introduction to BlueZ/HDP (Health Device Profile) and Open Health Assistant (OHA) in MeeGo ongoing development. It will be focus on: 1) opportunities for developers, 2) next steps
||OHA as WebApp in MeeGo
||10 Tips for Mobile(MeeGo) Web Design
||How to create a mobile version of your website?
||Parts From the book Smartphone Web Development
|Your Name here
- Submit your presentation after you receive notification of acceptance (November 4):
- Due on November 10
- Send in PDF format
- Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- By submitting your presentation, you agree to letting us publish it after the conference.
- Please make sure that you include your name and contact information on your first or last slide.