Tickets can be bought in person same-day. However, lines can be long, and the ferries do sometimes sell out.
You can avoid waits, and ensure availability by purchasing tickets online in advance from:
The ferry to Alcatraz does NOT leave from the Ferry Building. However, travel to the location is easy via the MUNI F train, a streetcar that runs in front of the Hyatt hotel down Market St and the Embarcadero. You want to take this train North/West to Bay St.
Easy Things Near the Conference
- See the Sea Lions on Pier 39.
- Wander Chinatown.
MUNI, or the San Francisco Municipal Railway, runs most buses and trains inside the city. The fare for adults is $2 for unlimited travel on any MUNI vehicle in any direction for 90 minutes.
- The fare for adults is $2
- You can pay your fare in cash to the driver (exact change only), OR
- You can purchase a Clipper card card at Embarcadero Station vending machines. The card is a prepaid travel card like London's Oyster card or Boston's Charlie card. You can then load money onto the card via credit card or cash, and use it on MUNI, BART and commuter ferries.
- MUNI allows unlimited travel for 90 minutes after paying your fare. Travel may be in any direction, and can include the return trip.
- You must have proof of payment at all times. When paying cash, the driver will hand you a "transfer" slip of paper -- KEEP THIS. If you pay via Clipper, the card itself functions for this.