The role of MeeGo working groups are explained at http://meego.com/about/governance
This is a request to the Technical Steering Group to approve the creation of a Development working group. There is no procedure defined but we can improvise with some common sense.
How to contribute
To discuss and plan the MeeGo developer offering and support, subscribe to the MeeGo SDK mailing list: http://lists.meego.com/listinfo/meego-sdk. You can also subscribe from your account page on meego.com.
The Development working group shall provide a bi-directional community channel to help the creation/improvement of Meego's development tools and supporting documentation.
The main areas within the scope of the working group are (in no particular order):
- Documentation: Ensuring that the Meego platform is well documented, clearly, and in as many languages as possible.
- Tooling: Checking and making suggestions/improvements to the current toolset, this would include suggestions for new tools.
- APIs: Make sure that developers have a set of consistent/coherent user interface APIs across all UX devices (Handheld UX, Netbook UX).
- Distribution: Ensuring that there are sufficient channels for developers to distribute their software to users.
- Training: Ensure that there is adequate training available, with supporting slidesets, examples (touches on documentation too), etc. - essentially making the learning curve shallow.
- Communication: Communicating tool releases and changes to the tooling both internal and external to the community.
- Coordination: Synchronizing the activities with the Localization and the QA WG so that both localization and quality assurance are well integrated into the development process.
MeeGo members interested in taking an active role in this working group. Please detail your interests and what you can contribute to the group:
- Ronan Mac Laverty - Nokia's Developer Advocate. One of the people responsible for driving the developer offering inside and outside of Nokia. Submitter of this proposal and happy to take an active role. Full disclosure: Nokia pays me to take care of developer offering matters in maemo.org and now meego.com, so I can put time here.
- Elliot Smith - Intel SDK developer. Working on documentation and tools for MeeGo developers. Can contribute most of my work time to activities relating to this group.
- Ville Ilvonen - Nokia's Maemo Test Tools Advocate. I'm responsible for advocating and coordinating development of test tools and test automation inside Maemo. Looking forward to continue with MeeGo. Can contribute fair share of my work time to MeeGo related activities.
- Veli Kaksonen - Nokia's MeeGo SDK Project Manager. I am responsible for MeeGo related SDK projects inside Nokia.
- Mitsutaka Amano - Moblin community member from Moblin 1.x, Moblin Image Creator maintainer, Mainly I'm intrested in Image Create tool and rootfs & toolchain on the MeeGo, Japanese evangelist, MIRACLE LINUX CORPORATION.
- Dave Neary - Maemo docmaster - interested in enabling and co-ordinating community efforts to improve and augment documentation. This basically will consist in creating a clear licensing policy and making it clear what needs doing, where input is wanted, and encouraging professional documenters to work in public where possible.