The role of MeeGo working groups are explained at http://meego.com/about/governance
This is a request to the Technical Steering Group to approve the creation of a Repository working group. There is no procedure defined but we can can improvise with some common sense:
The Community working group defines the strategy for publishing community created software with the MeeGo project, and observes its implementation.
The main areas within the scope of the working group are (in no particular order):
- User package repository: bringing something equivalent to the maemo.org Extras repository to MeeGo.
- Manage dependencies: Make sure dependencies for user applications are maintained by maintainers. Prevent developers from having to maintain their whole dependency chain.
- User package QA: Quality Assurance on packages.
- Packaging policy: Define a clear packaging policy for MeeGo, and keeping the packaging system open to the community
- Package maintaining: Provide an interface for maintainers of a package to maintain their package.
- Documentation: Document package contribution, creation and maintenance.
MeeGo members interested in taking an active role in this working group. Please detail your interests and what you can contribute to the group:
- Niels Breet - maemo.org webmaster and long time maemo.org community member. Liberated by Nokia to work on community infra and community repository infrastructure for maemo.org. Interested in doing the same for meego.com.
- Carsten Munk - maemo.org distmaster and Mer lead developer. Liberated by Nokia to work on OS development facilitation in the community. Interested in helping shape packaging policy and distribution level choices.
- Jeremiah Foster - maemo.org debmaster and Core Integration Team Lead for GenIVI. Interested in keeping the packaging process transparent and open with greater community participation at all levels using best practices.
- Andreas Osowski/th0br0 - Fedora packager(RPM) (and ambassador) and new maemo.org community member --> Interested in getting the packaging process started, working on packaging policies and helping with packaging
- Graham Cobb/gcobb - Maemo Community Council member and long term maemo.org community member and developer. Interested in avoiding the "repository hell" we had early on in the Maemo world and in learning from maemo.org experience with the extras-* structure.