We need a mechanism to add/remove/upgrade MADDE components(mainly sysroots and runtimes).FeatureZilla number:
- 9411: SDK sysroot maintenance
- 9415: SDK extensibility
Option 1: mad-admin update
Publish new configration files in a directory of a web server. Developer can use "mad-admin update" to download and overwrite the current config files. This way, we can describe new targets/runtimes and other components in the config files or modify existing components.
- Easy to update: Just put the new config files into the web server directory and we are done.
- Can list available components after updating.
- Windows can use this feature without modification
- Integrated with MADDE, can be used in other targets such as Maemo.
- No upgrade notification.
- User have to list all available components, maybe too much as time goes on.
- No different than with apt-get/yum. Maybe by default mad-admin update informs there are updates.
- overwriting configuration file and mark older targets as 'hidden' will make those targets invisible by default output. Already created targets are visible, though.
Also, if the repository url can be given from command line that might be dangerous -- via social engineering one can persuade naive user to update the configuration from malicious source; therefore the script should not offer alternative download addresses... unless package signing is taken into use...
Option 2: OBS packages
Create a package each component (or only its config file) in OBS.
- Can dynamically install/remove/upgrade components
- Upgrade notification
- Can only be used in Linux, windows have to implement its own mechanism.
- More work to packaging.
- Kind of functionality duplication of MADDE config files.
- MeeGo Linux only