Single partition installation vs Dual Part installation.
Maemo device installation consists of 2 parts:
- RootFS Code partition.
- eMMC Data Partition
MeeGo Installation consists of 1 part:
- RootFS Code + Data Partition.
With Maemo, it is possible for the Backup tool to store User data onto the eMMC and ensure that between installations the data is safe and can be restored from.
MeeGo however has no such ability.
Even the Netbook is an all-in-one installation.
This causes serious problems for data during updates or reinstallations.
The following application requests are based around having this problem solved.
Backup/Restore application is needed.
Now we can get on networks and get past initialisation issues, a mechanism to Backup/Restore data between reflashing is necessary.
Added complexity for N900-de is that the whole "image" is on one partition which is overwritten by each image flashed.
- Use eMMC from maemo to store MeeGo N900-DE backup data files
- Change the N900-DE image so that MicroSD is partitioned into Code (regular flash) and Data (similar to eMMC)
- make a compatible data Backup/Restore application and store alongside Maemo backup files (very hard)
A suggestion from IRC:
- <KaIRC> lcuk: and given that YaST package manager is also a graphical frontend to zypper nowadays, I would think MeeGo can do things similarly - but yes, nicer interface is always good :)
- <lcuk> if you can make it work on n900-de I would like some screenshots
- <KaIRC> lcuk: well, YaST is the integrated system management tool in openSUSE, I have no idea if or how it would run on MeeGo
Maemo Data Import is needed.
Similar to the Backup/Restore application.
This would require the Maemo Sharing to be functional first.
- Mechanism to Import some or all of the Maemo data:
- Import Contacts
- Import network settings
- Import SMS messages/Conversations
- Import Misc application settings
SSU is needed.
Now that we are doing more and filling in data, a mechanism to update is required.
- Start with a daily/weekly image
- Open Application "System-Update"
- Check for updates, compare on device repository against latest available system
Maemo Data Sharing is wanted.
To access realtime and safely the data stored on the eMMC live and direct.
- To allow sharing the data from Maemo side.
- Photographs and videos taken with the device camera
- Music and example files.