http://planet.meego.com aims to aggregate all the relevant MeeGo news sources and extract the best of it through community promotion and editorial work. It is maintained by the Media team.
We are not quite there yet, but we want to have everything ready before the MeeGo 1.2 release.
The News section is reachable from several meego.com homepage blocks and the "News" item in the top navigation bar. It is made of different types of content. http://news.meego.com needs to combine them all in an efficient and nice looking way.
- Sticky news item (e.g. TSG blog post) and a link to the previous stickies archived.
- Should we use a tag for this? --Qgil 23:21, 23 November 2010 (UTC)
- Top ranked blog posts from http://news.meego.com/blogs/ and a link to Most recent.
- Last @meegocom tweets
- Plus most popular #meego tweet? Is there an API for this?--Qgil 23:21, 23 November 2010 (UTC)
- Next events and link to Calendar
- Static link to "Media Center", "Aggregate your blog" and "How this works".
To be defined:
- Should we have a static space featuring a top video (feeding from YouTube/Vimeo/Blip...) and a top image (Flickr, Picasa...)?--Qgil 23:21, 23 November 2010 (UTC)
- Thumbs up/down to news doesn't work as expected
- news.meego.com missing meego.com aggregated blogs
- Twitter feed at news.meego.com
- Sticky news item in news.meego.com
- "Aggregate your blog" link missing in news.meego.com nav bar
- The list of blogs aggregated needs to be visible
- Page explaining how news.meego.com works
- Add planet.meego.com subdomain + redirect to Planet MeeGo
http://twitter.com/meegocom aims to be a channel forwarding the most relevant activity happening inside and around the MeeGo project.
- Retweet the most interesting statuses related to MeeGo
- Reply interesting questions or comments addressed to @meegocom
- Anybody can "forward" news by including "#meegocom" in the status.
- Extended Media Team aims to cover all the community channels
- Media Team members have all access to @meegocom
- In most cases meegocom will simply RT what goes through the filter
- Objective replies only (e.g. links to sources), neutral voice
- Twitter best practice is to use shortened links - @meegocom will shorten the link if not already shortened.
- Only official users followed e.g. @MeeGoConf
- Specific lists created to point interesting users e.g. @meegocom/sdk
PS: vaguely inspired by the light process behind MWKN
Everybody likes the principle of news written by the community. It seems that everybody actually likes the http://maemo.org/news system, combining over hundred sources that get promoted or demoted based on user input (thumbs up & down) and karma from several sources e.g. del.icio.us, technorati... read more
But it will take us a while to implement something like that in meego.com. In the meantime we can start aggregating blogs and other MeeGo specific news sources.
Drupal includes an Aggregation module out of the box: http://drupal.org/handbook/modules/aggregator
There is an official module that resembles a PlanetPlanet, but do we really need the extra maintenance for that? http://drupal.org/project/udplanet
The maemo.org Midgard team has prepared a deployment of using Maemo's Midgard-based Social News system for MeeGo News. The system uses the regular meego.com accounts (though not yet sessions pending for Single sign-on deployment) via LDAP.
The deployment consists of:
This system still waits for integration with the main meego.com homepage.
Blog aggregation checklist
Anybody can request the aggregation of their blog at meego.com under the following conditions:
- You are contributing to MeeGo in a direct way: software & community contributors, partners, manufacturers, specialized media...
- You have a public profile created at meego.com specifying your link with the MeeGo project.
- You have a blog somewhere with a MeeGo specific feed (your posts about lolcats won't show up @ Planet MeeGo).
- Your posts in that MeeGo feed are in English.
- You have been blogging about MeeGo for a while already. Exception: you have an official role in the project and you are starting to blog about your work at MeeGo.
- Your feed must be valid and must contain at least one MeeGo post (more preferred).
Request the aggregation of your blog
If you fulfill your requirements above you can request the aggregation of your blog by adding it to the candidates list below:
- URL of your meego.com profile.
- URL of your MeeGo specific feed.
- Also log in to MeeGo News with your meego.com account.
Note: If it hasn't been added within 2-3 days, please send a message to Dawn Foster or Quim Gil. Please remember that it will only be added if it meets the criteria.
Or you can start adding yourself to the list of candidates (please do not add other people's blogs to this list):
(Add after first post to validate feed)
Note: I believe that these 2 blogs listed below were submitted by someone other than the blog author, so they can't be syndicated until the author confirms that they would like to have their content republished as part of the MeeGo planet.
See canonical list in MeeGo blogs aggregator or in OPML format.